As we enter into this holiday season of celebrating and giving, I can't help but reflect on all the things that I'm thankful for. So much has happened since last Thanksgiving -- including a new place to call home, new travel memories, two new jobs, new friendships, a new car, and new opportunities for loved ones -- that I still can't believe we packed it all into just one year.
On numerous occasions throughout this year, AC and I have talked about how incredibly blessed we are. To live near family, to be able to go to work every day, to have so many college friends live close by, to see loved ones thrive and succeed in new places, to have plenty of food to eat (sometimes too much!) and a warm bed to sleep in every night...the list goes on and on. And while I don't want to bore you with all the little details of this list, somewhere a bit further down on it are these lovely matcha green tea shortbread cookies ;)
Remember my matcha green tea obsession last year? Well, like most things in life -- it comes and goes in cycles. And lucky for us, my matcha craving came back...just in time for the holidays!
We made these the other day when a couple of friends came over for an "Asian themed" dinner. While they seemed to enjoy the meal thoroughly, their hands kept reaching for these cookies. Incredibly stunning, healthy (what? antioxidants!) and GREEN, these treats taste even better than they look. Like any respectable shortbread cookie, they're delectably crumbly and buttery. But their unique matcha green tea flavor is what really makes them shine. Subtle, delicate, and not too sweet -- no wonder why they won Golden Scoop's Best Bakery Recipe award!
Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone! We're so thankful for love, family, friends...and of course these delightful cookies. What about you?
Matcha Green Tea Shortbread Cookies
Recipe from Lovescool
3/4 cup Confectioners sugar
5 oz Unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
3 Large egg yolks
1.5 TBS Matcha (powdered green tea)
1 cup Granulated sugar (for coating)
* Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
* Whisk the confectioner’s sugar and green tea together in a bowl.
* Add the butter and green tea/sugar mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until smooth and light in color.
* Add the flour and mix until well combined.
* Add the egg yolks and mix just until the eggs are fully incorporated and a mass forms.
* Form the dough into a disk and chill in the refrigerator until firm (about 30 minutes).
* Roll the dough out to ½” thickness.
* Cut the dough with a cookie cutter.
* Toss each cut cookie in a bowl of granulated sugar to coat.
* Place the sugar-coated cookie on a parchment lined pan. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
Continue reading for recipe...